Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Sobriety in the Revelation of Jesus Christ

1 Peter 1:13-17 Therefore, gird your minds for action, keep sober in spirit, fix your hope completely on the grace to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ. 14 As obedient children, do not be conformed to the former lusts which were yours in your ignorance, 15 but like the Holy One who called you, be holy yourselves also in all your behavior; 16 because it is written, “YOU SHALL BE HOLY, FOR I AM HOLY.” 17 And if you address as Father the One who impartially judges according to each man’s work, conduct yourselves in fear during the time of your stay upon earth;

hmm... what is the Revelation of Jesus... how we should approach this book? As those who are lovesick to know Him more... let us look to the book of Revelation as the one book which is titled wholly the Revelation of Jesus...

The faithful witness
The firstborn from the dead
The ruler of the kings of the earth

Description: in a garment down to the feet and girded about the chest with a golden band. His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and His eyes like a flame of fire. His feet were like fine brass, as if refined in a furnace, and His voise as the sound of many waters. He had in His right hand seven stars, out of His mouth went a sharp two-edged sword, and His countenance was like the sun shining in its strength. (1:13-16)

How can I meet Him how I am now? How can I have sobriety in my spirit towards the things of Him? For He is terribly beautiful and beautifuly terrible! I close my eyes to try to picture these things and how He appeared to John... John what were you thinking??

-christine

3 comments:

HumanBEEing said...

Yes, what was He thinking? His reaction is probably the closest gauge we have eh? But what absolutely blows my mind is that He was the one who laid on Jesus' bosom. Here is one who abided in the Love of His God. Then He sees Him as He is in His glory.
Terribly beautiful.

tracy enos said...

It's like Isaiah said in chapter 6, "Woe is me, I am undone and ruined." We need to have a poverty of spirit. He is fearfully wonderful! I want to be ruined by this.
tracy

WhatDoesThatMean said...

sign me up for being ruined